Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Goodbye Malibubabwa!



So, Prince Malibubabwa, my Chevy Malibu, has met a tragic end. I was working for BRM (my Dad's company) in Cottonwood Heights, finishing one last errand before I could call it a day and go home.
Scene- The intersection of Highland Drive and Fort Union Blvd (2000 East, 7200 South). I am sitting still in the middle of the intersection waiting for the oncoming traffic to finish so I can turn south. Light turns yellow. I see it's my turn to turn. I don't know if I didn't see the car coming at all because there was a car stopping in the first lane of traffic as he was in the second, or if my brain thought that car would stop for the light too. All I knew was there was a red car two feet from me and we were going to crash. Instinctively, my arms lock, holding the steering wheel as tight as possible as my foot slams the break- willing the car to stop instantly. *CRASH* 
The airbags went off, and I was breathing horrible dust. I see the other driver getting out of his car. I tried to get out, but my door was stuck. I started to adjust my seat so as to get out the back door, but he helped me open the driver door with a good yank. 
"You ok?"
"Yeah. You ok?"
"Yeah." He starts to dial. I stood there. My mind completely blank. Who do I call? I started to take pictures of the cars, you know, so I have evidence of what the damage was, etc... it comes from working for a property manager.... and being my father's daughter :) Now what? Can I just pick up the car and move it to that empty spot so we're not in the middle of the intersection at 5:30 pm? Crap. Rush hour. 
"I'm sorry for the inconvenience everybody!" I shout to anyone who may have their window down.
I finally text Matt and Mom. Let the panic begin. Matt calls me instantly. He's on his way... naturally. Love him.
Cops show up with orange cones. 2 cop cars. "Everyone ok?" Yep. They call the tow. Mom and Dad both walk down to the intersection. Dad takes pictures. :)
Tow arrives. Dad follows to get my groceries out of the undamaged trunk. Cop comes to me to give me the lightest ticket possible. I was turning, therefore I get a ticket because the turning car is supposed to yield to the oncoming traffic. The cops and the other driver were very nice. I wish all accidents went this way, none of that ridiculous counterproductive shouting. The accident was cleared in excellent time, I thought. Tho, just for good measure, I apologized out loud to all the cars staring at the damage.

I went from motionless to turning... doesn't my totaled car prove the car coming was going a wee bit fast?

His poor 80's beemer.

It took several reiterations to tell the insurance company this car is not getting repaired for less than it's worth.
Is it just me, or does that light look like a tear?
Goodbye Malibubabwa!

No comments:

Post a Comment