Sitting in a classroom-style conference room, we met the bailiff and received our juror number.
In the court room, we all sat in order by our jury number. We were facing east, and to the north were the prosecutor and defense sitting at their table. The two attorneys were already thinking of how to use their four strikes.
A questionnaire went to each juror and we said where we worked, where our spouse worked, if we have kids, marital status, what paper we read and something else about us.
Of the 31 of us, 2 were retired, 2 were at home mom's. 1 guy likes guns and 3 guys like video games. None of those 8 made it to the jury. I was the only one who said I read The Blaze (I thought that might get me ruled out. Everyone else either read the Tribune or sports magazines. No one said the Deseret News.). So, if you don't want jury duty, say you like guns or video games :D
It was a criminal trial, so there were eight jurors. The judge talked about how many judges there are in the district, how many deal with criminal cases, what a typical week is like... just to ramble while we waited for the two judges to settle on their strikes. Being juror #12, I made the cut.
The case was a simple one. We were done by 6. I took Trax home because Matthew was tutoring.
This just in:
Matt got his summons in the mail :)
No comments:
Post a Comment